Application Procedure (Online)
- An applicant for TAN needs to be filled in Form 49B online. https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/form49B.html
- In case there’s an error, it needs to be rectified and the form needs to be re-submitted.
- A confirmation screen with data filled which is provided by the applicant would be displayed.
- The applicant can edit or confirm the same.
1. Once the confirmation is provided by the applicant, an acknowledgement screen would be displayed.
This acknowledgement would consist of:
a. A unique acknowledgement number of 14-digits
b. Name and contact details of the applicant
c. Status of applicant
d. Details with respect to payment
f. Space for signature
2. Applicants should save and print this acknowledgement.
3. The applicant must sign in the space so provided
The signed acknowledgement along with DD (if any), shall be sent to NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited) at
NSDL – e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model colony, Near Deep Bungalow chowk,
Pune – 411016.
The fee for processing the application for TAN application INR 65.00 ( 55.00 application charge + 18.00% Goods & Services Tax) and this is a non-refundable fee if your application is rejected. Demand draft/Cheque shall be drawn in favour of NSDL-TIN.
Once this form submitted, the department would verify details so submitted. If the application appears to be correct, NSDL would send TAN details to the applicant’s address as provided in the form 49B or they could also send an email with the TAN details if the application was made online.
Pointers for Filling Form 49B
Below are few points which one should bear in mind while applying for TAN in form 49B.
1. Form 49B should be filled in English only and in capital letters.
2. The details of the assessing officer are required to be furnished by collector or deductor of tax. This information could be accessed from Income Tax Office if the same isn’t available
3. Details with respect to the district, area, area code, etc. are required to be provided by tax deductor or collector. If such detail isn’t known, Income Tax Office would assist you to find out the same.
4. The form must be filled up entirely. Blanks or pending sections won’t be considered
5. Individuals responsible for filing and submitting tax must list down their designation mandatorily
6. The applicant’s address must be an Indian address